August 10, 2005

A week late and plenty short

Lesson of the week: A blog is only as good as the posts you put therein. Of course, since a blog is more than the sum of its posts, ...I don't know what that means for me, but it's good.

So Pygmy's coming along. I just released the third version last weekend and am pleased with how it's coming along. I'm rather surprised how much work it takes to get even a little app like this working. I'm beyond the stage where I needed to read a lot of documentation to learn how to code what I wanted to do (though the PyGTK reference is still quite the boon), but I'm still finding that there are a lot of things to account for. And as the program gets bigger (and harder to manage), I see the use for design patterns to effectively use my code. I'll need to read up on those more, but there's no time!

So I just started my new job this week. Computer application phone support, to be specific. This month is just training, but by September, I'll be on the phones making people's days... or something. It's funny: I'm not really an Excel wizard, so my training has been illustrative in figuring out what you can really do with it. But it's surprising, approaching an application like for the first time. I haven't really had that experience in a while, but at this point, I notice a lot of UI quirks and awkward presentation of features. For example, you can "set print area" in the File menu, define a "range to print" in Page Setup, define a named range "Print_Area", all of which do the same thing. Why not pick one option and stick to it? Layers automation and multiple options make the UI complicated and confusing. Anyway....

No comments: